Caesar with Beef and Dill Pickle Jerky
- 1 cup Clamato juice
- 1 ½ oz black pepper vodka (recipe below)
- 1 tsp freshly grated horseradish
- 2 tbsp dill pickle juice
- lime salt for the rim
- hot sauce
- Beef Jerky, dried pickles and tomato slices
Black Pepper Vodka
- ¾ cup vodka
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- zest of 2 to 3 limes
- ½ cup kosher salt
- 1 lb lean beef such as flank, sirloin or round
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 6 drops liquid smoke
- pinch black pepper
- 1 tomato thinly slice
- dried herbs
Black Pepper Vodka
- In a clean jar, add vodka and peppercorns and seal with the lid. Let sit for at least 24 hours before using.
- In a mini food processor, add the zest and salt. Blend until well incorporated.
- Mix all ingredients (except beef) to a bowl.
- Trim as much fat as you can from the beef. With a sharp knife, slice paper-thin across the grain.
- Add the sliced beef to the marinade and mix well. Keep covered in the refrigerator for 6 to 8 hours or overnight.
- After marinating, pat the meat dry, lay the pieces on a drying rack and dehydrate for five to six hours at 60C (follow your dehydrator's guidelines for best results)
- Thinly slice a tomato on its side. Sprinkle each slice with salt and dried herbs. Lay the slices on a rack and dehydrate for about eight hours at 55C.
- Thinly slice your favourite pickles lengthwise. Add the slices to a small bowl and cover with water to remove some the salt. Let sit for at least and hour. Remove the slices from the bowl and pat them dry. Lay the slices out on a rack and dehydrate for four to six hours at 55C.
- Mix Clamato, horseradish, pickle juice, vodka and hot sauce together in a mixing glass with ice. Season with salt and pepper to taste and stir well. Rim a highball glass with the lime salt, fill with ice, then pour in the Caesar mix. Add garnishes and enjoy.