Dates and orange scones
- 4 ½ cups flour
- 1 cup unsalted cold butter cut into
- small cubes
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup baking powder
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 orange zested
- 2 cups pitted and chopped dates
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 Tbsp milk
- Muscovado sugar
Mascarpone Cheese Spread
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2 Tbsp honey
- Preheat over to 400F.
- In a large bowl put the flour and cold butter cubers and using your fingers, and working fast to keep mixture cold, rub the butter into the flour until you get a crumbly consistency.
- Add the sugar, baking powder, cardamom, nutmeg, orange zest and dates. Mix with your hands to distribute evenly.
- Pour in the cream and milk and mix with a spatula using a light hand. A light touch ensures that the scones will be light and fluffy.
- Turn out the soft, sticky dough on the floured surface.
- Fold over the dough a couple of times to shape into a square, dusting with a little flour.
- Roll out to about 1-inch thickness.
- Cut out scones using a 2-inch square cookie cutter, or other shape of your choice. Gather the remaining dough, reroll and cut.
- Lay scones on a baking tray lined with parchment paper, keeping them 1 inch apar
- Brush with eggwash. Sprinkle each scone with the muscovado sugar.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until puffed and golden on top. Delicious with mascarpone spread, jam or honey.