Grilled Pineapple & Spam (or Shrimp) Skewers
- 1 can spam cut into 1-inch cubes OR 12 shrimp 21/25 size peeled
- ¼ pineapple cut into 1” cubes
- 2 cloves of garlic smashed
- ¾ cup teriyaki sauce
- ½ cup Kecap Manis see Chef’s Tips
- 2 tbsp lime juice and half a lime kept whole
- 1 red pepper cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 green onion
- Set your oven to broil on its highest setting
- While the oven is preheating start threading the skewers. Starting with the pineapple, then either SPAM or shrimp, red pepper and then repeating the process with the pineapple again. There should be two of each item on the skewers.
- Smash the garlic with the back of a knife and place in a bowl. Pour the teriyaki and the kecap manis over the garlic and add the lime juice (not the whole lime)
- Line a baking tray with aluminum foil and place the skewers on the tray.
- Using a spoon dress each skewer with some dressing and reserve some for a second coat in a few minutes.
- Place the tray in the oven on the bottom most rack for 4 minutes.
- While the skewers are broiling, cut up the green onions and set aside.
- Remove the skewers from the oven and generously glaze on the remaining dressing.
- Return the tray to the oven for 3-4 minutes on the middle rack this time.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the sliced green onions and a spray of fresh lime juice.
Kecap manis is a very thick Malaysian soy sauce. Can be readily found at almost all Asian grocery stores. Great product to add to your pantry.