Quick Fire Meals
Want to learn some insider tips and hacks on how to make healthy, delicious and nutritious meals ?
Join Chef Ben, online, as he guides us through some delicious, healthy and quick recipes designed to keep your family fit and cooking together. This recipe will be prepared online ready in-time to serve for dinner!
Tamari and Ginger Chicken Bowl
- 2x large cutting boards (1 for chicken, one for vegetables)
- 2x 8 qt saucepans with matching lids
- 8” chef’s knife
- 10 to 12” nonstick pan
- 2 large mixing bowls
- Stacher bag
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Wooden spoon
- Mesh strainer
- ¼ cup tamari
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon garlic-chili paste
- 1 thumb size piece of ginger peeled and grated
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 boneless skinless chicken thighs cubed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 large ripe avocado sliced
- ¼ English cucumber sliced
- ½ cup radish sliced
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ tablespoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup hot water
- ½ cup edamame frozen
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Using a mesh strainer, rinse the rice under running water. Once rinsed, add the rice and vegetable broth to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil for 1 minute, then cover with a towel-ladened lid and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and let the rice sit for 6 minutes.
- Prepare the pickled radish by combining apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt and hot water in a mixing bowl. Stir to combine the ingredients and dissolve the sugar and salt. Using a stasher bag, place the sliced radish inside and pour the pickling liquid over the top. Press as much of the air out of the bag and seal tightly. Shake for 2-3 minutes, repeating every 5 minutes.
- In another mixing bowl, combine the tamari, vinegar, honey, chilli paste and sesame oil. Add the diced chicken and toss to coat. Let the chicken marinate for a minimum of 15 minutes.
- While the chicken marinades, prepare the raw vegetables by slicing the avocado, cucumber and radish.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add the marinated chicken and cook for 5-10 minutes until the chicken has caramelized and is cooked through.
- While the chicken cooks, bring water to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat. Cook the edamame for 2-3 minutes and strain.
- Assemble the bowl by dividing the rice between the bowls. Top with the chicken pickled radish, sliced avocado, sliced cucumber and edamame, each in their own space. Garnish with sesame seeds.